12 March 2009

Oats for Breakfast?

I have to admit that it is some time since I last had a bowl of porridge. Perhaps a shameful thing to admit for an avowed Ulster-Scot.

On Mark Thompson's Blog he has recently posted an image from yesteryear of White's Speedicook Porridge Oats with the familiar piper on the front.

Rummaging round the interweb, I came upon the current White's website and was mildly disappointed to see no trace of a piper, a kilt or anything else.

As an aside, I would have to say that the Toasted Oats they do are lovely and local too!

Anyhow, I'm curious as to why they abandoned the piper, bearing in mind that I think most people still associate porridge with Scotland and the image is iconic. Presumably the new swanky packaging would demand a sexier image but I would have thought there was still room for a bit of tartan or a well turned heel in a ghillie brogue?

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're a fan of Toasted Oats. Here's one I prepared earlier!

    http://markthompsondesign.blogspot.com/2008/07/toasted-oats.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually a little bit scary.

    The idea that your design is now invading my breakfast time is vaguely creepy. Is there nowhere sacred??

    I'm off to check round the house for other sneaky Thompson designed products!

    ReplyDelete

Normal Service Resumed

The abnormal sunshine of the last few days in Glasgow has been replaced by more usual grey skies and heavy spots of rain. This year we ha...